Forgiveness is very desirable. For those who receive it, the burden of guilt is lifted. For those who give it, resentment and anger can be released, clearing the slate in a relationship and making room for peace.
Despite this, in everyday life forgiveness is not easy to achieve. Let’s see if there is a way to offer genuine forgiveness, especially to those closest to you, because ironically, they are the ones you should forgive first and yet they are often the hardest to deal with.
Key Steps to Forgiveness
Here are the key steps involved:
- Feel your emotions and face them directly.
- Write down your reasons for not forgiving someone.
- Ask yourself how motivated you are to offer forgiveness.
- Let go of as much resentment and anger as you can, here and now.
- Envision what the future would be like if you do forgive the other person.
- Reconnect at a sincere positive level.
- Find the place of forgiveness in your own awareness.
- Each of these steps clears up a specific obstacle to forgiveness that may be inside you. Let’s see how this works, step by step.
To read this entire piece on forgiveness from the Chopra Center, click this link: The 7 Steps of Forgiveness