Monday, June 12, 2017

"The Road to Character"



Today's post was inspired by another blog that discusses the development of character as written in David Brook's recent book, "The Road to Character."  It caught my attention because I'm reading the book at the moment.

From the Brook's website:  The road to character is for every one of us who is trying to become a better version of ourselves. It is about shifting the cultural conversation to sharing stories of moral adventure and learning from each other's examples.

Because everyone's road is going to be different, but that doesn't mean we can't take some steps together.

In a time when ME and I appear to dominate our contemporary culture, this book suggests that perhaps it is time to walk outside of such personal reference because the day will come when our work resume means little and what is said in our eulogy is what will define our true character -- or not.

The referenced website continues the discussion of character by people from all walks of life who have begun the walking the road toward character. One persons writes:  For me being a good person incorporates the following: 1) to be present with empathy for every moment that my personal faculties allow with the people and situations I encounter, 2) to keep in mind not to do to other people what I would not want done to myself, 3) to hold a little doubt in reserve and apply it when I feel confidence turn toward arrogance.  I think being a good person starts with saying please and thank you, and the other common courtesies—the idea that kindness and respect to others returns kindness and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment